Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, October 29, 2012

Unquiet


I recall digging in the empty field directly behind my grandmother’s house one late afternoon as a boy of something near seven or eight.  After digging down about a foot or so, I sat there amid the round riverwash stones, blue dirt, and upended roots of bunchgrass listening to the unquiet of the small town moiling around me.  I heard automobiles main-streeting east and west.  The lead smelter, huffing and clanking, carried across to rail ribbons and the creek.  A dog barked from a seemingly blanket-covered distance.
I sat there and thought about forever in the over-simplistic way only a child can manage.
This morning, as I sat outside in my hot tub, I thought of that long-ago day.  And I closed eyes to hear the new unquiet—the unquiet within me.  I am aging, aching, and frequently unsure if I am capable of the sincerity and decency of my childhood.  All of my relationships with others are now qualified by one bad experience or another.
From here, I no longer hear the automobiles main-streeting in either direction.  That field is now  covered by a parking lot.  The smelter long-ago dismantled and the local jobs shipped overseas.
The grass remains upturned.     
--Mitchell Hegman

1 comment:

  1. It is said that there are only two things constant in life: death and taxes. I say there's one other and that's change. Whether we like it or not change happens even if imperceptibly so. Desert sands shift with the wind and ice glaciers gradually melt and move.

    The only thing we can do to cope with change is to embrace it and see the good it eventually reveals. If an unquiet exists, there is a quiet. And there can be no darkness if there is no light.

    ReplyDelete