Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Toast to Helen



I snapped the photograph above as I sipped my evening Scotch in my hot tub.   In the photo, I am raising a toast to Helen, my daughter, who made it through a raucous night while Superstorm Sandy slapped her apartment building and the rest of the East Coast silly. 
This afternoon, after braving the night with floodwater, wind, and no power in her New York apartment, Helen hiked to a friend’s domicile (with restored power) to spend the rest of the week.  She has been through her share of tragedy already.  She lost her mother, the only adult family she had remaining on this continent, less than two years ago.  She lost a husband to cancer only six months after they wed.  She was a witness to nine-eleven the first time she lived in New York City.  She survived me as her step-father.
So much for a young woman to endure.   
--Mitchell Hegman

1 comment:

  1. A testimony to strength, determination, and triumph of spirit in the face of tragedies and dangers that would have buried lesser men in desolation. A tribute too to the ones who shaped, polished, and faceted the stone, now a diamond brilliantly reflecting light.

    ReplyDelete