Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Rain over Vegas


Last night, a broad thunderstorm seeped through the toothy peaks of the Spring Mountains and blackened the skies over Las Vegas.  On average, Las Vegas captures less than five inches of rainfall annually.   In my times in this city, I have never witnessed a rainstorm.   Let me assure you that you will not sleep through such an event. 
When the rain fell, it swept over my sister’s house sounding like curtains of heavy chain being dragged overtop.  Streams formed in the streets.  The whole city dimmed to an orange glow with the occasional over-bright flare of a lightning snap followed by rolling thunder.  One of the lightning strikes stabbed into some homes only a block or so south of us, nearly jolting me straight out of my bed.
This morning, the skies remain dark and occasional showers have been dampening the walks and streets.  The open earth celebrates in scents and darker tones of red and tan.  Even where rare, rain is everything.
--Mitchell Hegman   

No comments:

Post a Comment