Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Keys and Wine Bottles


As a young boy, I spent a fair amount of time rooting around the weediest yards of my neighborhood.  Typically, I was looking for interesting bugs or just about anything shiny that I might carry away in my pocket.  Immediately beyond our neighborhood, back in a mostly undeveloped place that we called “the grove,” Grover Jones lived in squalor.  I liked his yard best of all.
Cottonwood suckers and current bushes had volunteered right next to Grover’s paint-peel home.  Horseradish and rhubarb grew unchecked.  Best of all, for probably the last thirty years of his life, Grover Jones stopped hauling his garbage to the local dump.  Instead, he flung everything he discarded out the front and side door.  I used to go there mostly to collect the “keys” from discarded sardine cans.  Grover Jones ate an inordinate amount of sardines.  The keys were used to peel the cans open in the days before the invention of flip-top cans.   I collected all manner of keys, including those.
 Photo thanks to: You’ll Eat & Like It
As I dug through the heaps of garbage that Grover had thrown from his home, I was most stuck by the number of wine bottles.  Grover Jones drank a lot of wine.  I could not fathom all of that as I waded through the bottles.
Yesterday, as I looked at my old face in the mirror, I thought about how heavy with beer and wine bottles my trash liner was when I pulled it from the can under my sink in the morning.  The clinking of the bottles reminded me of those days outside Grover’s house.  And for the first time in my life I felt I understood Grover Jones.
--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment