Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, March 14, 2014

Driving My Country Road at Night


My thoughts wander backward through events as I drive home late from a busy day.  One wrong word said, but no real harm done.  A new “wife” joke I have already forgotten how to properly assemble.  Nothing on the jetliner that vanished in the air after leaving Malaysia for China.  The songbirds once again frenzied in daylight trees. 
Entering the ranchlands, my headlights brush a golden fringe across last year’s tawny grass just beyond the winter-plowed shoulders of the gravel road.  On the hills and along corners, the beams of light slit open the cobalt darkness to reveal green entrails of bull pine, juniper and sage.
The roadway stretches out ahead of me—stark and friendly at the same time.
Suddenly a bouquet of reflective eyes springs forth from below a cluster of trees.  Mule deer.   A dozen or more bedding together, pregnant does no more than twenty feet off the road.  The night closes around them again as I drive on, up the last hill, and then to my house, right there where it belongs, below what seems a fountain of stars frozen in place in the endless night sky.
--Mitchell Hegman

 

1 comment:

  1. I'll always remember that time I was in your kitchen, it was sundown and there across the window above the sink was a deer staring right at me.

    ReplyDelete