Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, March 8, 2014

In Lemon Light


I saw you in the lemon light,
within the cube city, the Dada city
bathed in lemon light,
awash in lemon light.

You were admiring the steam-powered people,
the swing-arm people.
And you saw two glittered crows
hurl against a sky white-gloved by clouds.

I spoke to you, but you made no sense.
"Two black crows," said you,
"seem no better than one,
and four no better than none."

I swear I saw you in the lemon light,
admiring the machine-like children
who chased two blue crows
into a tongue colored sky.


NOTE:  There is a convention in contemporary poetry that does not insist that a poem makes sense literally.  A poem, under this convention, might simply evoke emotions or seek to bend the language a little and create a rather musical cadence as you read.  This poem (which has been kicking around in my archives in various fashion for about twenty years) falls into that category of poetry.  I understand that not everyone will appreciate this.  This sort of poetry is generally an acquired taste. 
--Mitchell Hegman

1 comment: