Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, April 4, 2014

Taylor Swift did a Sweet, Sweet Thing


Taylor Swift is famous enough that even I know who she is.  That said, I am a fan of alternative and indie rock.   I am not sure I would recognize a Taylor Swift song if one rushed up to me on the street and gave me a snuggy (and I am not suggesting one of her songs would do that).  I am now, however, completely impressed by Taylor.  The reason I am impressed has zero to do with her music.
Cleary, Taylor Swift is a giant in popular music and pop culture.  She is now, arguably, at the peak of fame.  While most of her young peers would spend every free moment partying or jetting off to exotic places, Taylor sometimes does something a little different.
She pays surprise visits to sick children in the hospital.
The other day, she and her father visited children at the Hasbro Children’s Hospital in Providence, Rhode Island.  Though she planned to visit for only an hour, she stayed for five hours, chatting with children and their families.  She sang a little.
A publicity stunt?
Hardly.
Taylor Swift has visited children’s hospitals before.  In fact, she was visiting children in hospitals, especially children with cancer, even before becoming famous.  More telling is the fact she expressly asked the hospital not to publicize her visit.  The visit came to light only through postings on Facebook.
Back when I taught apprentice electricians, I often said as a lesson point:  “You will quickly recognize a true craftsperson—they are the ones doing their best work even when nobody is looking.  Sometimes, as an electrician, you need to accept that your best work will be buried in walls and hidden above the ceiling.”
Taylor Swift is a beautiful person even when nobody is looking.
 
--Mitchell Hegman 

No comments:

Post a Comment