Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Montana: The Best State


A Gallup poll completed in December of 2013 asked residents of all 50 states to express their views about the states in which they live.  The polling included interviews with at least 600 residents in every state.   The poll sought to ask residents how they view their states in terms of "the best possible state to live in," "one of the best possible states to live in," "as good a state as any to live in," or "the worst possible state to live in."  The ratings were tied to a variety of questions related to trust in state government, well-being, stress levels and that sort of thing.
As it turns out, Montana is the best state.
Alaska statistically tied with Montana in a favorable rating.  In the poll, 77% of the residents of these two states thought the state “the best or “one of the best” states in which to live.
As a resident of Montana, I am not surprised.
I love living here.  Yesterday, as example, I drove through the Rocky Mountains between to cities and saw winding rivers, herds of wild elk roving the mountainsides, blue skies and scudding clouds.  I talked with some very thoughtful people, including my friend, Dawg, who might have become a comedian if working as an electrician had not panned out for him.  At the end of the day I came back home to my pretty country place in this world.  Though (nominally) a working day, I enjoyed myself.
Interestingly, Rhode Island came in at the bottom of the poll.  Only 18% of the residents of Rhode Island consider their state as the best or one of the best states in which to live.  I have never been to Rhode Island.  I know it very small—about the size of a fart let by Texas.  Actually, Rhode Island measures somewhere near 48 miles in longitude by 37 miles in latitude, something that might qualify as “a ranch” here in Montana.  I also know a guy from Rhode Island.  He makes his living as a film critic and once came to Montana to shoot firearms at some targets we put out for him.  We call him “the Rhodent.”   He is not a particularly accurate marksman.
--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment