Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, June 27, 2014

Attack of the Spider Hatchlings


I don’t like spiders.  Not little spiders.  Not black spiders.  Not yellow spiders.  Not any spiders.
The other day, when I went outside to climb into my hot tub, I found hundreds (maybe thousands) of spider hatchlings in several clusters on the side of the tub.  I have no idea what kind of spiders they were.  All I know is that they were alive, and rippling with motion, and I was naked.
I said a bad word.
Okay, I’ll be honest, I said several bad words.
In days past, I would have killed the spiders in what might have been described by witnesses as a “rabid frenzy.”  I have since learned tolerance and respect.  There is a place for all creatures and for all things (with the single exception of mayonnaise).
I scampered back inside my house, pulled on some shorts, and grabbed a broom.  Before whisking up the spider masses and walking them out into my “weed” yard for live release, I captured the photograph posted today.  The hatchlings in the photograph are only a fraction of the spiders I found.  Each is about half the size of a grain of rice.
My apologies for the fuzzy photograph—I may have been shivering from the “creeps.”

--Mitchell Hegman

3 comments:

  1. I wish I was the spider on the wall watching this. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's just hard what to do. Okay so the spiders are fellow inhabitants of planet earth and have as much right as we do to be here. But they can be lethal. On the other hand, we don't just stamp out fellow humans, even if they are toxic and even dangerous. My only prayer is that I come back high in the food chain, and not as a spider, in my next life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was not pretty to watch...that is for certain!

    If a black widow was crawling on me I would not hesitate to smack it!

    ReplyDelete