Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Tonight the Rain, Tomorrow the Nighthawks, Summer Thereafter


Tonight, I sat outside in my hot tub as June rain fell against the pine trees and into the tall grass all around me.  I thought about my grandparents as raindrops also brought forth temporary sculptures on the surface of the water in my hot tub.
It occurred to me that we live and we die.
I know…we all have these thoughts.
My thoughts soon turned to how much I miss my grandparents.  I imagined the sounds of their house around me again: footsteps ascending the stairs to my room on the upper floor and nightly freight trains rumbling by.  I heard the voice of my grandfather and heard my grandmother laughing.  I considered how they raised me from the age of twelve; and how they honestly saved me from a life cluttered by the anger and bad choices of my parents.
It mattered that my grandparents lived.
Tomorrow, at dawn, the first strokes of yellow light will spur nighthawks to veer against the mists lifting from tonight’s rain.  They are yet quick, the birds, and ascending.  In this life you are either on stairs that take up into the mists or stairs that lead down into shadows.
Up, then, in the morrow, with nighthawks.
Up with those soon-to-be grandparents all around me and up the July grass.
On into summer and up the stairs we shall go together.
--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Thoughts about life and death....strange. I was thinking the other day of communicating with Vera and giving her some instructions. I want some of my ashes scattered at The Front Range. The place felt strangely familiar when I was there, like I had been there before -- maybe in a past life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall that day we first drove there and your reaction. The Front Range is one of my favorite places in Montana. The landscape there really defines Montana.

    ReplyDelete