Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Hard Reboot


I woke this morning and staggered out toward the kitchen only to find my entire office blinking at me.  “That’s pretty weird,” I mumbled to the 40 pounds of housecat orbiting around me in the darkness.  Peering into the office, I saw the printer control screen and every onboard LED blinking in unison.

When I walked over the machine, abandoning my food-wanting cats, I saw a message on the screen that said the printer had ‘encountered a problem.’  The screen suggested that I cycle the power button off and on.

“I have problems, too, buddy,” I told the printer as I pressed the machine’s power button.

The printer whirred.  The screen and all LEDs went blank for a second or so.  The printer whirred once more and then the power LED and the control screen came to solid life once more.  The standard icons soon appeared on the screen.

Complete normalcy with one push of a button.

And wouldn’t it be nice if people had a button like that onboard?

--Mitchell Hegman

3 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, there are many people who recognize the value of that button and install it on themselves. A requirement for installation is consciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm. Not so much - they used to call that shock therapy. I like the fact I get to evolve into an old curmudgeon. A hard reboot would take me back to the young jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess the definition of our "normal" might be in issue here. Hmmmm. Needs more thought!

    ReplyDelete