Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, February 8, 2016

Ten Minutes of Summer, Spider Included


Yesterday, we experienced sunshine and temperatures reaching into the forties.  In other words: summer.  Seeing my front porch aglow with sunshine, I stepped outside and sat on the concrete steps.  Though, all around me, snow remained on the ground in Dalmatian patches; the sun quickly warmed me.

We are still in full winter around here.

I had not been sitting there for more than a couple minutes before a dark motion caught my attention.  Glancing in that direction, I saw a spider on the brick veneer beside me.  A large, hairy number, the spider legged up the side of the house and then clung there amid a patch of sunlight only an arm’s reach away.

“Hey, buddy,” I said to him, “If you are looking for lunch, I saw a fly of some kind twirling around on the deck out back when it got warm the other day.”  I scowled at him, “If you don’t get any closer, we can hang out together here.  Just keep your distance.”

I don’t like spiders much, but the sun had already filled me with warmth and serenity.   So we sat there together—me and a really ugly spider.  Ten minutes of summer brings out the soft in all of us.

--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment