Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

A Place in the Mountains


After working on my cabin in the mountains, I often wander out to walk along the clear waters of the creek as it prances along.  Sometimes, I amble from wildflower to wildflower, stopping to examine each one.
I have in mind that someday a little boy or little girl will come along and understand what I feel.
I have never gotten over the mountains.
As a little boy, I was amazed by the bigness of life in them.
I love how light is sifted down to arnica flowers and grasses on the forest floor.  I enjoy watching chickadees ascending through the branches of tall pines.  I require deer crossing from shadows to light.  I need to hear the insistent sound of the creek finding its way through willows.  I need aspen trees to spin their leaves at first light.
The scent released when snow first kisses downfall is without parallel in this world.
Someday, I hope to leave this place to someone who loves it more than they want it.

A patch of arnica alongside my cabin.
--Mitchell Hegman

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious about how snow smells like when it "first kisses downfall."

    ReplyDelete