Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, May 18, 2018

Dee and the Gold Star


Eleven years ago, I made a glittery gold star and attached it to a stand.  I was teaching full-time at the Montana Joint Apprenticeship Training facility then.  The star was a half-gag, half-honest roving award I presented to apprentice electricians.  I might place the star on the table in front of an apprentice who aced a test, presented a brilliant insight, or simply got embarrassed when I gave it to them.
Though I left the apprenticeship training program six years ago, the gold star yet survives.
Yesterday, while on a visit to the facility, I found Dee working at her desk a full five minutes before her scheduled starting time.  Dee is the bookkeeper/administrative assistant/keeps-everything-in-liner at the training facility.
“Good for you!” I enthused after finding Dee at her desk.  “You should be rewarded.”
“Maybe a raise,” she suggested.
“I’ve got something for you.”
I trotted off and soon returned with the gold star.  I placed the star on her desk.
Before I left the training facility yesterday, Dee (ever a good sport) allowed me to take a photograph of her holding the gold star.
Job well done, Dee!

--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment