Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, October 1, 2018

Tables and Chairs (the Big Dipper has been upended)


Overnight, the Big Dipper upended itself.  Early this morning, I found it balancing on its handle atop a pine tree outside my back door.
I’m not worried.
The Dipper will slip down from the tree and repeat.
Here is a real thing.  There exists a fine line between taking an aspirin to cure a headache and drilling a hole in your head to let the demons out.
Just to be safe, I hide my drills.  Sometimes, I have trouble finding them when I need a hole in a board.
I’ve always wondered about some of the more famous philosophers.  Friedrich Nietzsche, who said, “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.  And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”   Kierkegaard, who is quoted as professing, “My depression is the most faithful mistress I have known.”
Philosophers have always danced along the thinnest edge.
I have learned not to drill holes in my head.  I use power tools to literally “work” my way through troubles.  I choose blueprints over long blue nights. 
I build a house.  A cabin.  Sometimes, a crooked table, which I immediately dismantle and burn so I might begin again.
Imagine if Kierkegaard took up a skill saw instead of existentialism.
Today, we might have Kierkegaard chairs instead of thoughtful abstractions.
-- Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment