Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, October 4, 2018

Gravity and Friction


I am a pretty big fan of gravity.  I appreciate how gravity holds me to the ground so I don’t float off hopelessly only to get smacked by the next passing airplane.  I have had a few minor incidents with gravity.  That time I fell face-first from my stingray bicycle comes to mind immediately.  And (I don’t know if I can hold gravity wholly responsible) there is also the song, “Gravity” by John Mayer, which greatly annoys me for some reason.  But, as a whole, gravity is pretty useful.  
So far as friction is concerned, I have mixed feelings.  Friction is pretty handy when striking a match to start a fire.  It’s great for skidding to a stop, too.  But I seem fighting against friction half the time.  Friction is always holding something back.
Yesterday, friction crossed a line with me.
After digging through the drawer of the antique hutch in my dining room to find an old cellphone charger, I tried to slide the door shut again.  The door didn’t wholly jam, but was pretty difficult to push due to the friction of wood on wood.  I opted to kneel down for better alignment and jiggle the drawer a little as I pushed on it.
Bad idea, that kneeling. 
Jiggling, too.
For a couple years now, gravity has been holding one of that girl’s large pottery pieces on top of the hutch.  My jiggling tipped it over.  Gravity took over entirely from there.
After you finish reading this, you can examine the photograph of the shattered pottery I posted below.  I have also included a photo of the entire hutch (taken after I cleaned up the mess) so you can establish some idea of scale.
As a point of fact, the pottery piece didn’t break upon landing on the hutch.  It shattered when it dropped directly onto my head.
Yep, that one hurt.




-- Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment