Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, October 12, 2018

Dreyer’s Vanilla Bean Ice Cream versus Sleep


I don’t eat a lot of sweets.  Generally, when I am struck by a craving, I crave something savory.  Potato chips tend to be my “go to” snack.
Not so last night.
I woke at 3:36 AM with thoughts of Dreyer’s vanilla bean ice cream dancing through my head.  I have had a container of Dreyer’s vanilla bean ice cream in my freezer for several weeks.  
I flopped around in bed and tried to burrow away from the craving.  I repeatedly punched my pillows.  I tried to throwing thoughts of installing cabin flooring in front of the ice cream.
No giving in, dammit.
I had no intention of crawling out of bed so I could grab a bowl of ice cream.
My fight against ice cream was epic.  I continued to punch my pillows and strangle my bedding.  Every few minutes, I flashed my eyes open and checked the digital clock.  Somewhere after 4:42, I finally drifted off to sleep again (with the container of Dreyer’s vanilla bean ice cream chasing after me).
I woke again at 5:15 this morning and dragged myself from bed.
Guess what I ate as my coffee maker gasped and wheezed while brewing my morning coffee.
-- Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment