Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

The Monster’s Third


I woke feeling very rested this morning.  I enjoyed the distinct impression I had slept soundly, if not calmly, throughout the night.  As I lay in bed, awake and contemplating swinging out from under the covers, that girl asked softly, “Are you awake?”
“Yes,” I answered.  “How did you sleep?”
“Not that well.  You were riding your bike in your sleep.”
“Again?   I’m sorry.”
Apparently, in some of my deeper sleep modes, I kick around quite a bit.  For several years I also loudly gnashed my teeth together.  And there are the countless morning I wake only to find I have basically flung all the bedding and pillows to the floor in my sleep.
You might think I would recall some of that.   But I have nothing.  I may recall a random dream or two.  I might wake with a start and some vague impression of danger.  But the kicking and climbing beast that occupies me in my sleep completely evades me.
So goes one third of my life (with my sincerest apologies to that girl).
-- Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment