Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, November 2, 2019

Frank Zappa and Abraham Lincoln Eating Breakfast

Early one morning, Frank Zappa met Abraham Lincoln for an Egg McMuffin breakfast at McDonalds.  They sat at a table a table near a window talking and eating their food.
“I always admired your look in a stovepipe hat,” Frank Zappa remarked as he watched Abraham Lincoln unwrap his breakfast sandwich.  “Your distinctive appearance was shrewd branding on your part.”
“The hat was effective in keeping my head dry,” said Abraham Lincoln.  He took a bite of his sandwich and chewed a bit.  “How many calories are in one of these things, Frank?” 
Naturally, as a weird genius, Frank Zappa knew the answer.  “Three-hundred calories in an egg and cheese McMuffin.”
Abraham Lincoln nodded.  “I always admired your steadfast non-conformity, Frank.   While your music sometimes made me uncomfortable, I have found it entirely unforgettable.”
“Thank you, I think.”  Frank Zappa took a bite of his own breakfast sandwich.  “In a sense,” he added, “I suppose being unforgettable is the entire point.”
Abraham Lincoln nodded.  His hat greatly exaggerated the movement.
“I gave my children unforgettable names.  You set free the slaves.  A bold move, that.”
“Yep.”  Abraham Lincoln loudly crumpled his breakfast sandwich wrapper.  “I am thinking we could afford another McMuffin—from the standpoint of calories, I mean.  What do you think?”
“Music to my ears, Mr. Lincoln.”
“Ha,” Abraham Lincoln responded.  “Yes, everything is music to you.   And… music is everything to you.   Please allow me to buy another McMuffin for each of us.  Three-hundred calories.”
“Music again, sir” said Frank Zappa.
—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. There's a redundant word in the 1st paragraph! We in Hilo have a Frank Zappa Tribute yearly performed by the University of Hawaii-Hilo Jazz Orchestra! The other year, Frank's son, Dweezil Zappa, came over and joined the performance! Brought the house down!

    ReplyDelete