Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, November 17, 2019

Similarities


Somewhere around six years ago I replace the flooring in my kitchen with a design of my own.  The design featuring a dark faux wood band about a foot off the outside edge of the floor.
Hold that thought for a bit.
Desiree Tito Mariano lives in Manila.  By the most direct route, that’s 7,080 miles from me.  She lives in the tropics.  Me in the Rocky Mountains.  Huge cultural differences lie between us.  Our language is different. 
I could go one with our differences, but our similarities are far more interesting.
We both go to bed at 9:30 at night and rise at around 4:00 in the morning.  Our dietary habits are the same.  But our strangest parallel is found in our kitchen floors.
When I first saw Desiree’s kitchen floor, I was shocked.
She had my design!
When I asked her about the floor she said she designed it herself and had it installed at about the same time as I installed mine.  Stranger yet, she wanted to use tiles of a color similar to mine, but her late husband wanted white.

My Floor

Desiree’s Floor  
—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments: