Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, November 3, 2019

Propane is Explosive


Propane is explosive.
Somehow, for the last 63.7 years, this knowledge has largely evaded me.  At least in a personal sense.
No more.
Yesterday, I thought I might grill some salmon on a cedar plank.  Before final preparations on the salmon, I pulled the cover off my barbeque grill, dragged the grill out from where keep it under a portico on my back deck, and twisted open the valve on the attached propane tank.  A few minutes later, with my salmon plank in hand, I stepped outside and headed to the grill.
On the right side of my grill is a metal work platform.  On the left is an outside burner under a metal lid that must be opened before burner use.  When I reached the grill, I placed the plank on the work platform, cranked open all four burners for inside the grill, and punched the spark igniter.
WOOF!
A sort of mini atomic explosion mushroomed up on the left side of the grill.  Heat and flames enveloped my left arm and brushed against my face.  I quickly reached down and turned off the burner valves.  Only then did I notice I had somehow inadvertently opened the valve for the outside burner when I pulled the cover off the grill several minutes earlier.
Thankfully, other than a few singed hairs on my wrist, I was fine.
After the incident, I got to thinking about how complacent we become around all sorts of explosive stuff.  Not just barbeque grills.  Gas stoves.  Heaters.  Torches.  Even automobiles.
Lesson learned.
Next time I grill something, I will invite Kevin up for dinner and have him start the grill.   
—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments: