Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Raided in the Night

Between sundown and sunrise, all manner of critters emerge in the notch valleys of the Northern Rockies to go about making their living. This includes predators, scavengers, and all the hapless nibblers in the timberlands and open parks.

Strange things can happen in the darkness. My cabin and all that surrounds it are not immune to either the associated wonders or treacheries.

I mentioned how I battled with weeds on Sunday. In doing so, I filled one trash bag with spotted knapweed and another with thistle. I lugged the two bags back from the wilds and pitched them alongside the cabin.

When I woke the following morning, the bags had been dragged off to near the fire pit, and something had torn them open for inspection.

Definitely not the work of a mouse. At the same time, I don’t suspect the raid was the work of a bear. A bear would have shredded the bags to bits and made a big mess on the spot. Other than what happened to the bags, I didn’t see any other clues.

I would hazard a guess at what critter is responsible.

I hauled the bags back to the cabin and then double-bagged them for a trip to my trash bin at home.

My Bags Back at the Cabin

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment