Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, August 6, 2026

Conglomerate

Conglomerate is the natural geological presentation of concrete. Long before we figured out how to mix cement with gravel, nature was doing much the same thing. Rivers rounded stones into smooth pebbles, layers of sediment buried them, and mineral-rich groundwater slowly cemented everything together into solid rock. The process took thousands to millions of years rather than an afternoon with a concrete truck and an ample supply of beer, but the result is surprisingly familiar.

One of the first "keeper" rocks in my collection is a time-worn conglomerate specimen I collected no more than 100 yards from the spot where my house presently stands.

I was 6 or 7 years old the day I found this treasure. Honestly, it still ranks as one of the most thrilling finds of my life. I gasped when I first spotted the rock amid a few nondescript stones. It was a perfect representation of nature's concrete and an ancient story told in stone.

"Look at this!" I said after trotting back to find my father and show him my discovery.

Though I proved a disappointment to my father when I revealed a propensity to pick up random stones rather than a baseball, he did his best to share my enthusiasm.

The conglomerate specimen has been on display on a shelf somewhere near me ever since. Every time I pick up the stone, I feel a certain earthy energy in the weight of it. It is of immeasurable value to me.

The photograph below is that very rock.

Conglomerate Specimen

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment