Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Sifted Down

When alone and without a steady barrage of outside inputs, each of us will likely shuffle and sort our thoughts down to some simplified form.  As my day nears an end, I tend to gradually boil down my salvo of considerations, gleaning out all the trash from my whole life and from the present day.  I jettison my reflections on the last prickly conversation I engaged in at work.  No more news of an earthquake from a country I cannot properly spell (that has somehow transferred into my occipital lobe is blinking incessantly).  Gone, the Indy-car circulation of money-making ideas.
Finally, as I exit my living room and head to the back of my home for bed, I shut down all of the lights and plod toward my rest.  Only then do I finally reach that point of having a single thought, a keen and concise flag in my mind.  Often, after a whole day of hard work, good and bad news, enmity and joy, my final thought sifts down to this question: ”What if I step on a spider in the dark?”
--Mitchell Hegman    

1 comment:

  1. The poor spider will die of course. But you can hope that it doesn't bite you first. And if it does, at least you'll know whether or not it's got venom.

    Better to walk in faith even in the dark than not to take that step at all. Life!

    ReplyDelete