Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Frank Zappa and Ronald Reagan Share Lunch


Frank Zappa and Ronald Reagan met for lunch at a small deli that served a popular pastrami sandwich.  After a bit of small talk, Ronald Reagan admitted, “I really never understood your music.  Some of it sounds like people running combs over their guitar strings and then yelping.”
A small slice of pastrami dropped from Reagan’s sandwich and unceremoniously stuck to the table.
“Perhaps you have confused me with another artist,” Frank Zappa responded plainly.  “That sounds more like industrial rock.”
“No.”
“Well, I am actually happy that you listened.  I am furthermore happy that I found a way to get any of my music out there.  The industry did not support me.”
“What about your daughter’s name?” Reagan asked.  “Moon Unit.  What did she think when you named her that?”  He took another bite of his sandwich.  Another slice fell free.
Frank Zappa lifted his conspicuous left brow.  “She was pretty young when we named her.  I don’t think she really noticed.” 
“Mmmmm.”
“I had an elderly friend,” Zappa said, “a woman, who voted for your second term because she liked that you were nice to monkeys.”
Reagan smiled.  “Oh…from my film: Bedtime for Bonzo!”
Zappa raised both brows.  “No.  She meant the ones in Washington.”
 
--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment