Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, December 16, 2013

My Cat has a Single Feather


I found a feather near the lakeshore below my house this summer.  I think the feather came from a raptor of some kind, perhaps a hawk or an eagle.  I brought the feather to my house and placed it on the night table in the spare bedroom.  For several months the feather remained there.  Then, late one night, I heard my cat, Splash, romping all around the house, playing. 
He had discovered the feather.
The feather is now his.  I tried many times to put the feather back on the table, but Splash will have none of that.  Within a few hours of me placing the feather back on the table, Splash will retrieve the feather and drag it to some new location.  The feather rather migrates around my house now—dependent upon the particular whims of my cat.
Sometimes, Splash gingerly carries the feather from place to place.  On other occasions, he thrashes all over the place while toying with the feather.  Today I am posting a photograph of Splash relaxing with his feather.
--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment