Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Eastern Racer


Yesterday, I found a bunny that slithers (formerly known as a snake) on the concrete walk just outside my front door.  The snake was an Eastern racer.  Racers are, in the scheme of all things snake, small and slender and non-poisonous.  Their scientific name is Coluber constrictor.  Though the name implies they are a type of constrictor, they are not really a constrictor.  They earned the name from a species habit of using a loop of their body to press struggling victims against the ground.
The snake on my walk, something a bit over two-feet in length, seemed unconcerned about me at first.  The racer became nonplussed only when I reached down and touched it, at which time the snake started twisting around as if caught-up in an invisible blender and then it faux rattled its tail.  Racers will often vibrate their tails when feeling threatened.  If they are in dry leaves, this may make them sound like a rattlesnake.
Worried that my cats might find the snake (bunny), I scooped it out into the grass.  That is when the bunny (snake) earned its name.  Racers are fast!   The racer more or less vanished at once, whipping off into the grass and sage expanse.
Fortunately, I was able to capture a photograph with my twice-as-smarter-than-me-phone before I pushed the snake off into the grass.

--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Glad we don't have snakes in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are not all bad. They don't bother me all that much. I fins it interesting that so many people are super afraid of them...

    ReplyDelete