Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, September 8, 2014

Half and Half


I have in my possession a stone that is half one kind of material and half another kind of material.  The materials clearly did not attempt to mix together.  They simply stuck together.  One of the materials is quartz and I think the other half is granite.
Normally, I am interested in how and why a thing came to be, how it managed its colors, and so forth.  I am, however, more interested in the idea of this particular stone than I am the science underlying it.  While I suppose it might be pleasant to know whether the atoms at the line of division are joyously dancing together or whether they are coupled together in a stony version of war, I find my emotional response to the stone more notable.
My view of the stone changes from day to day.   On a bright day, I might pick up the stone and think: “Look here, a perfect marriage.”  On a darker day, emotionally speaking, I may take up the stone and think: “Here, then, is what a country divided looks like.”
The stone is unchanging, mind you.  This is me—on a very small scale—pushing reality with my own perspective.
The other day, I picked up the stone and suddenly experienced one of those gut-twisting, all-consuming pangs of missing my long-gone wife.  For an instant I wanted to throw the stone through the nearest window.
The stone is still there in my den as I write this.
Posted today is a photograph of the stone.
What do you see?

 --Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Every memory of a beloved spouse who has passed on is both uplifting and gut-wrenching. Still, there is in retrospect a kind of wonder at how much our lives were blessed by our loved ones not only when they were still breathing but even after they've gone when the full impact of how they've enriched our lives and spirits hits us head on, not once and not twice but repeatedly for as long as we live here, now and beyond.

    I am in gratitude for my gentle Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feel gratitude for both Uyen and Michael. We would all have been great friends in this life.

    ReplyDelete