Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Hoya


My hoya plant is blooming.  Normally, that is not such a huge deal.  But this plant is special.   The hoya in my house came to Montana with my grandmother when my maternal grandparents first moved here in the 1940s.  The hoya has survived moving from state to state, house to house, and room to room.  This houseplant has endured dozens of dreary winters, several dogs and housecats, four generations of poking and leaf-pulling children, earthquakes, countless trimmings, and more recently my erratic watering practices.
I recall tugging at the leaves of the hoya when I was a boy.  I thought both the leaves and the flowers of the plant were plastic.  But here is the plant all these years later—older than me, but blooming as if newly emerged from the earth.
I am posting a photograph of one of the flower clusters on my plant.

--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Incredibly pretty flower. Is it native to Montana? Does it have other colors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not native. The hoya has many colors.

    ReplyDelete