Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

An Awful Sound


Yesterday, I experienced connectivity problems with HughesNet, my internet provider.  After calling several of the requisite wrong numbers and then punching through numbers on my dialer to wade through an automated menu, I finally connected to the technical help line.  A recorded message informed me that I would have an extended waiting time.  I switched my smarter-than-me-phone to speaker and set the phone on the kitchen counter beside me.

That’s when elevator music filled my phone.

The sound was horrendous—something like what you might expect to hear if a garbage disposer tried to eat a drum set, three French horns, and a small pickup truck at the same time.

At first, I thought something was wrong with my phone.

I actually jumped back, cringing.  After no more than ten seconds, I turned the volume down.  I considered ending the call.

As I reflect back on all of that this morning, I wonder how many calls are shed because of the awful waiting music.  Could it be part of a purposeful plan to reduce call traffic?

After suffering through the music for a while, I finally talked with someone in India.  I was told that the network was experiencing problems on their end.  I am posting today through my smarter-than-me-phone because my HughesNet is still down.

I am a bit reluctant to call again.

--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment