Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, October 23, 2015

Is There Someone You Really Like?


My brother-in-law, Terry, underwent eye surgery yesterday to remove a cataract and have an intraocular lens implanted.  He had the procedure performed in Great Falls.  My sister and that girl drove Terry up to Great Falls in the morning and returned almost immediately following the operation.  Their first stop after the surgery was here at the house.

The doctor told Terry that he could remove the strip holding his eye shut once the anesthetics wore off he was able to blink again.  As good fortune might have it, his ability to blink returned as we sat at my kitchen island to celebrate with a meager glass of Scotch.

“Dude,” I said, “you need to peel that thing off your eye while you are here.”

“I don’t know…”

I pressed him.  “You can blink, right?   Come on.  I’m excited for you.  Let’s try out your new eye.”

After a bit more discussion, Terry agreed to peel off the strip and open his eye.   He was a bit tentative after first opening the eye, but after a minute or two of blinking he began to pick up some of my papers and read them.  He surveyed the room.  “I can see!” he said excitedly.

“Can you see pretty well?” I asked.  “Is it way better?”

“Yeah, not bad, except I am seeing double.”

“Double?”  I experimentally waved a hand in front of him.  “Is there someone you really like?” I asked.

“What?”

“Well, I was just thinking that today would be a great day to see someone you like because there will be two of them!”

Terry allowed me to take before and after images with my twice-as-smart-as-me-phone.  I put them together and have posted them here.










--Mitchell Hegman 

2 comments: