Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Fire Born, Mitch Tested


Today, I announce the retirement of my old coffee cup.  I have used this cup exclusively for the last ten years.  My coffee cup is a pretty big deal.  As mentioned in a preceding blog, I will fish “my” coffee cup from a heap of dirty dishes and clean it for my morning coffee if dishes remain unwashed from the previous day.

I now have a new coffee cup.

My new coffee cup is remarkable.

First, and most importantly, the cup was a gift from my friend Sandi.  Gifts are always shinier and more commanding than anything standing alongside them.  This gift is also a symbol of enduring friendship.

My new coffee cup is one of a kind.  The cup was custom-made.  It features the very photograph you find on this blog’s landing page.  The title of this blog faces me as I sip coffee.
Good stuff, that!

My new cup is ceramic and, therefore, born from fire and heat.  Perhaps most importantly, the cup has already passed the “Mitch test.”  A Mitch test is a slightly less romantic version of an “idiot test.”  In a Mitch test, a thing is subjected to some form of catastrophic accident.  Yesterday, only a few minutes after receiving cup, the cup fell right through the bottom of the gift bag I was holding.  The cup glanced off a brass foot railing, shot across the floor of the establishment where Sandi, that girl, and I had met, and landed at Sandi’s feet.  Sandi’s eyes blossomed wide.

Oh dear!

I quickly chased after the cup.

Happily, the cup was unscathed.  After checking all surfaces and angles thoroughly, I gave it to that girl for safe keeping. 

This morning, while writing this, I have been drinking coffee from the new cup.  Coffee has never tasted so good.

Thank you Sandi!
--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments: