Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Stepping Stones

5:03 in the Morning.  The constellation Orion stands on the roof of my house.  I saw him there at 4:31 when I went out to set that girl’s pot of mums outside after a night indoors.  At present, the sounds of the song of White Room, by Cream, fills my living room.  20 pounds of housecat is sprawled across my lap.  For no particular reason, I have been thinking about a day when I was not very nice to my late wife.
She had made a series of brick stepping stones on the hillside at the back of our house.  I thought the stepping stones were silly and of no use where they were.  She had worked all day to bed them in the earth alongside blue grama grass and blue flax.    
“I don’t like it,” I said.
5:12 in the morning.  20 years later.
The stepping stones are still out there and I hate myself.

--Mitchell Hegman.

2 comments:

  1. "Regret is an appalling waste of energy, you can't build on it - it's only good for wallowing in." - Katherine Mansfield

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try not to wallow, but regret sometimes swoops down on me.

    ReplyDelete