Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Brain Functions

For once, I have the jump on all those fancy-shmancy scientists linking together syllables until their words become barreling freight trains.  Not only that, my (somewhat controlled) study did not cost anyone else a dime.
Here it is: I have successfully mapped the function of the human brain.
Well, my brain, specifically.
Looking around my office yesterday, I suddenly realized my office and my brain have similar memory functions.
Sticky notes!
That’s right.  Sticky notes.  My office is filled with sticky notes.  Yellow notes flagging pages of books.  Purple, yellow, blue, and pink notes fixed like the scales of a reptile to my desktop.  A sticker on my computer keyboard.  A sticker on my monitor.  And on.
Point is, my brain is exactly the same.  Just a pile of sticky notes I have assembled together.  If I see them enough, I remember something.  As I kick around during the course of an average day, the notes catch my attention in a more or less random manner:
“Don’t forget that girl’s birthday!”
“Arc flash study for batteries.”
“80080.”
“Call (illegible name).”
To be fair, the last note was written in the dark late at night.
And my brain is not perfect.
Perhaps Robert Frost put it more succinctly than anyone else: “The brain is a wonderful organ: it starts working the moment you get up in the morning and does not stop until you get into the office.”
--Mitchell Hegman.

2 comments: