Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Dot. Dot. Dot.

I’m reading a book.  It’s written in a modern style.  Short sentences.  Three word sentences.  Some four word.  Some five.
Sentence fragments.  Mostly.
The subject is gripping enough.  Not sure about the writing style.  Sometimes short sentences are better for impact.  They can hit like a sledgehammer.  Create tension.  Bang at your senses.
But a steady diet of sentence fragments?  I don’t know?  Becomes akin to a pointillist painting.  Dot.  Dot.  Dot.
I could use a flowing sentence once in a while.  A comma.  Reading this style jars me.  A little.  
My mind is a machine stamping out sentences.  Shunk.  Shunk.  Shunk.

-- Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment