Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Flamingo, Birdy, Penguin


Birds are important to me.
Gulls and ravens have flown through my poems for all the years I have written them: “One white bird, two black birds...”
Every year, for the last twenty-five, I have marked down the date of my first bluebird sighting.  They are my official harbinger of spring.
I regularly talk with my magpie neighbors.
On my recent trip back to Ohio, Mackenna and I played sticker book regularly.  Finding a good placement for the white mama duck was always our first priority.
We are all about the birds.
Little Mackenna, though having just this month turned two (with a little help from her mother), sent me a Father’s Day card.
Today, I am posting a photograph of the card.
These birds are the rarest and most beautiful.

--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments: