Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Our Just Reward


I am about to openly steal something from my sister, Debbie.
I am stealing a line from her.  Or, more aptly, a line of thought.  She responded to a photograph and text I had sent to her of a proliferation of bitterroot flowers near my house with this: “Wow!  This winter did bring us joy.”
I am going to take that and run.
Make no mistake, we had a brutally long, cold, and snow-filled winter.   We followed that with heavy rains and rivers that remain swollen to this day.  My road washed out.  Trees have toppled over. 
But, dammit, we have some pretty spectacular flowers to show for it this year.  The Rocky Mountain Front was as spectacular as ever.  Near my house, our state flower, the bitterroot, is blooming in unprecedented numbers.
I don’t much appreciate winters like the one we recently suffered, but, in the long run, it did bring us joy. 

--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. A Hawaiian wise elder named Kimo reportedly once said "no rain, no rainbows." We on the east side of the Big Island are currently suffering from a brutally destructive lava flow. The bright side is many years from now that same force of nature would have produced new beautiful vistas and terrain that our progeny will be able to enjoy. Mahalo for sharing Montana's flowers and beauty with us your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking a great deal about the lave presently at work on your island. So destructive in the present, but, as you say, in the long term it is not...

    ReplyDelete