Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, November 8, 2018

One More Thing


I discovered one more thing I am not good at.  More like incapable of doing.  This particular task lands somewhere between changing the transmission in a truck and opening a new pack of napkins—two other tasks at which I flounder.
Here it is: I cannot fold sheets.
Yesterday, while that girl left me here unsupervised at the house, I pulled out some bed sheets she had in the dryer and tried to fold them.
I first tried to fold them against the sofa in the living room.
Not good.
For a time one of the throw pillows threw itself into the bedding as I worked.   After I ejected the pillow I folded down again and ended up with what looked more like a crumpled wad.
Not enough room on the sofa, I determined.
I then dragged the sheets back to the spare bedroom and slung them across the bed as first step to the folding process.  At this point, in fairness, I would like to note that we have a California king.  These are some pretty big sheets.
Once again, I tried folding halves into halves.  No soap.  Stray ends and crooked lines appeared everywhere. 
I unfurled the sheets and tried again.  And again.
When that girl came home, I said to her (after our usual greeting pleasantries), “We have a problem.  Well, I do.  Follow me to the bedroom.” 
Together, we walked back to the bedroom.  Once there, I pointed at an ugly pile of sheets.  “I gave my best to fold them.  I can’t do it.  I’m guessing I have some kind of genetic shortfall here.”
She laughed.  “Thank you for trying,” she said.  “I will take care of them.”
--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment