Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

To Build a Cabin


I am no good at remaining idle.  Either my hands and feet or my brain need to be engaged.  Generally, I require at least two projects in front of me.  When I was working construction, I always had, by the very nature of my job, some kind of project at work.  At home, I either spent quiet hours reading and writing or I whipped up a project of some kind.
In fact, I constructed my own house from the ground up!
My cabin has been a spectacular assignment.  I started construction in 2003.  Up until this year, I have thrown weekends and random days into that.  For the last half of this year, since my retirement (something that girl calls ‘fake news’), I have spent a great deal of time working at the cabin.
The bathroom is now done!
I am only a few days from finishing the main level flooring.  And, as we teeter toward 2019, I am fearful I may finish the cabin sometime soon.
Then what?
Just yesterday, here at home, I started moving things out of the den so I can prepare for a remodel.  That should keep me busy as the soon-to-arrive winter snows block me from vehicle access to my cabin until April.
Here is the issue: I can’t just sit around.
If I am idle, I quickly feel over-charged and unmoored.  My brain, when underutilized, steadily poisons itself with random and nonsensical thoughts that fire up through the more rational layers.  I imagine UFO’s hovering above my checkbook as I stare at my desk.  I begin to question why life as we know it exists at all.  I may even consider flipping through the television channels just to see if I can find out what Justin Bieber is up to.
As I sit here thinking about this, it occurs that I know a guy who had to build himself a second cabin.
That’s an intriguing thought.
—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Having something to be busy about keeps the body from aging too fast. Just be mindful not to get stressed.

    ReplyDelete