Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Vanilla Extract


We nearly collided while leaning toward the display rack on the grocery gondola for a closer look—me and a slightly older gentleman.
“We must be looking for the same thing,” I teased.
“Vanilla extract?”
“Yep, that would be the stuff.” I glanced at the note that girl sent with me when I left the house.  “I have very specific marching orders, given to me by the authority having jurisdiction.”
“Do you need a specific brand?”
“Nope.  Needs to be organic or real.  Underline those!”
The gentleman pointed at some boxes of “pure” vanilla extract on the highest line of display.  “I think this is what we need.”
“Oh, do you also have some marching orders with you?”
“No.”  He smiled.  “I am not that fortunate anymore.  At one time.  Yes.”
“I am fortunate,” I said after only a moment of thought.  I grabbed a box and dropped it into my cart.  “Merry Christmas to you, sir.”
“And to you.”
--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment