Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

When the Stars Wake Me


I forgot about the stars.  To be honest, I have crawled back inside myself a little these past weeks.  My personal life in turmoil.
But early this morning I woke and found all the stars tapping at my windows.  Their names have escaped me, of course, but there they were: spikes and pinwheels and glittering points and a thousand years passing each instant.
Some of the stars have vanished forever, taking their titles and colors with them.  Others have drifted to places where they can peer down at me from the long blue balcony, soon to fade above this ballroom floor that is my coming day.   
—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Polaris is about 680 light years away from Earth, so the starlight we see roughly 680 years old by the time it reaches our eyes. Centuries of living, experiences and history all in one pinpoint of light in the night sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have some of the same thoughts I do as I look up at the stars. My sense of wonderment about them has grown greater with my age.

      Delete