Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, April 10, 2020

Melting In


I drove up to my cabin yesterday morning to see how everything overwintered.
Enough deep, hard-pack snow remained that I could not drive in from the main road.  To reach the cabin, I walked across the top of the snow, which varied from a foot to three feet in depth.
Amazingly, I broke through the crust (ending up knee-high in snow) only once.
As I trudged across the snow, I came across two interesting displays of melting snow.  The newly minted heat of spring had generated enough heat in a stick and the tip of a fir limb blown onto the snow from nearby trees to cause them to melt down into a hole of their own making. 
The result is something of a natural shadow box in the snow.


Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment