Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Puzzled


I am working a new jigsaw puzzle.  A round one.  This is my first attempt at a round puzzle.  I have had a couple weird experiences while working on the puzzle. 
I really struggled with the edge.  On a rectangular puzzle, I sometimes make measurements if I think I am missing a piece, or simply to check progress.  Measuring a round puzzle is not practical.
The edge got a little ugly on me.  Especially, when I completed the entire edge (carefully comparing my work to an illustration provided in the box) and discovered I had an extra piece.  After careful study, I found the exact same piece on the edge of my puzzle.  Well, almost exact.  The piece did not fit precisely when I tried, but it was the same pattern of color and shape.
Stranger yet, when I continued on with the puzzle, the inside pieces fit together perfectly without the extra piece in place.  I still have the piece in a small plastic bag.





Extra Piece





The second experience merely illustrates my cognitive limitations.  Ignoring the colors and design patterns, I tried to force into place the piece pictured below on several occasions.  The only thing that finally got me to stop trying was a wee dram of Scotch. 
  




Not Even Close





Finally, I will say this: Putting together a circular puzzle is very different than assembling one with squared edges.  On a squared puzzle I will work on features within the “field” of the puzzle after completing the edge.  The round puzzle only made sense to me by working “rings” of pieces toward the center.
I enjoyed the process.


Nearly Complete
Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment