Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, January 14, 2022

Three Generations

My house is not quite 31 years old.  That’s not terribly old so far as houses go.  But in that time, lighting technology has evolved so rapidly, I have installed three generations of light sources in a valance I incorporated into a wall separating the living room from the den. 

The den, just so you know, is where I keep my rock collection. 

The original light I installed was a 4-foot, 2-lamp fluorescent fixture powered by a magnetic ballast.  Somewhere after our turn into the new century, I swapped out the magnetic ballast for an electronic ballast.  Yesterday, I converted the light to an LED source.  Following are some details:

  • Gen 1: 40-watt, T12 fluorescent lamps with magnetic ballast (2475 lumen output)
  • Gen 2: 32-watt, T8 fluorescent lamps with electronic ballast (2800 lumen output)
  • Gen 3: 24 -watt LED retrofit lamps with onboard LED driver (3120 lumen output)

Overall, the generational changes in lighting sources have yielded a 40% drop in power consumed while, at the same time, providing a 26% increase in light output.  As an added bonus, the light output for LEDs does not rapidly decay as do fluorescent lamps.  Furthermore, LEDs may function adequately for 30 years.

I have posted “before” and “after” photographs I captured yesterday with my smarter-than-me-phone.

The photographs will reveal a difference in color temperature.  The new LED lamps deliver a cooler color of light.



BEFORE (T8 Fluorescent)



AFTER (LED Lamps) 

Mitchell Hegman

 

No comments:

Post a Comment