Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Huckleberry Jam

Yesterday a small group of folks gathered at my house to make huckleberry jam with berries we have harvested over the last two years.  Our style of processing to make jam involves frozen huckleberries, canning jars, pots, sugar, lemons, a few adult beverages, and the telling of tall tales from the huckleberry patch and beyond.

This year’s jam session included plenty of stories about grizzly bears and mountain encounters with confused out-of-staters.  Most impressively, we managed to produce 67 eight-ounce jars of jam. No small feat, that.

After finishing with the jam, we enjoyed a Montana-style lunch consisting of an elk roast and grouse pot pie.

Both were delicious. 

All of this while snow occasionally sifted down around my house.  A perfect way to spend a winter day.



My Kitchen Before Making Jam



Jars of Jam Cooling in my Den

Mitchell Hegman

3 comments:

  1. One of the saddest things about not living in Montana/Wyoming is the lack of real huckleberry jam. I threw down for the one remaining jar I found at the Amish store the last time I was in Wyoming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a problem! I made the mistake of sending a four jars to Manila. Desiree and her family are now addicted to the stuff! If you ever get near Helena, I would be happy to gift you a couple jars.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Neat post. There’s a problem with your website in internet explorer, would test this… IE still is the market leader and a big portion of people will miss your fantastic writing because of this problem. printed vinyl wrap

    ReplyDelete