Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, January 15, 2022

Part Two (I am an Idiot)

The day before yesterday, I could “feel” the cold from outside trying to access me.  This is not uncommon in the winter.  Often, a change in humidity will make me feel colder.  In response, I pulled on a long-sleeved shirt and carried on.

I felt a little chill again as I prepped for crawling into bed.  When I checked the bedroom thermostat, I noticed the temperature was a couple degrees off what I prefer, so I tweaked the thermostat and flopped down into my nest of blankets.

I woke yesterday feeling righteously cold.  When I glanced at the room temperature reading on the thermostat, I found the reading five degree below the setting I selected on the thermostat.

Well, that’s ungood, as my buddy Rod would say.  I immediately trotted out to the utility room to check on my boiler.

Let’s call this “Part Two” of the blog.  In this installment, I prove, one more time, I am an idiot.

Upon reaching the boiler, I found the boiler and the array of pipes connected to it cold.  Only then did I recall shutting down the boiler early in the morning the day before.

My boiler makes a fair level of racket when a zone calls for heat.  I had disabled the boiler while filming a few segments for an online continuing education class.  I have done this many times before.  Usually I write myself a “boiler!” sticky-note and affix it to my computer to remind me the heat is off.

As I switched off my boiler’s power the boiler the other day, I thought to myself: “I don’t need to write myself a note this time.  I’ll remember.”

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment