Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, January 3, 2022

Strange Snow

A trip to my cabin delivered me into full-on winter.  A recent series of storms has buried the meadow and creek under layers of white.  I found myself in knee-deep snow when I stepped off the main road after parking my truck.

To reach my cabin, I waded through the snow slowly.  I stopped every so often to admire the way winter’s white blanket smoothed-over summer’s rough and tumble inclines.  The quiet was also notable.  I have always appreciated the way winter softens the sounds around you.  I could almost hear my own thoughts as I broke trail under a bluebird sky.

The snow at my cabin was strange.  By strange I mean the last layer of it (maybe six inches) has stuck to everything—including the roof of my cabin and the face of my retaining walls.  I have never seen a build-up of more than a couple inches on my cabin roof.  Given the slope of the metal, snow will not stick.   But this snow clung to every finger-hold possible.

Pretty, yes.


 

My Tracks



The Cabin



Strange Snow



Picnic Table

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment