Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, December 2, 2023

Breaking in a New Pillow

I have written previously about my habit of sleeping with two pillows. One is for supporting my head, and the other is my “hugging” pillow. Throughout the night, the hugging pillow is fluffed, punched, hugged, smothered, wrestled with, and sometimes tossed out of the ring. I honestly have trouble sleeping in the absence of my hugging pillow.

Sadly, my hugging pillow has reached the end of its days. It’s worn out. Last night, I tried a new pillow for the first time. Not good, that. Breaking in a new hugging pillow verges on becoming a full-on bout in the ring. Last night, I got tossed from the ring.

The new pillow is a bit larger than my old one and isn’t quite squishy enough yet. I woke up several times with the pillow on top of me, the pillow having won a round. Late in the night, I woke only to find my left arm entangled in the pillow and completely dead with numbness. I lay awake nursing my arm for several minutes.

I am going to flop down for another bout with the pillow tonight, but only after I deliver a few good punches to it. I plan on starting on top and remaining there this time.

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment