Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Uncommon Courtesy


Yesterday, we established that I am courteous to flies.  I take time to free them from my mailbox and do not squash them simply because they are flies.
I am also relatively nice to business cards.
Again, explanation is likely required.
The day before yesterday, I went to the dentist for my scheduled six-month grill cleaning.  My grill isn’t all that pretty, actually, but mechanically-speaking my teeth are healthy.  I would have forgotten about the dentist appointment had not the office manager called to remind me last Friday.
Following the cleaning I stopped by the front office to see about the next appointment in six months.  The office manager selected the 17th of March, wrote the date on a card and then handed the card over to me.  I took the card.  “You know,” I told her, “I am going just take this card home and lose it within a couple of weeks.”
“That’s why we call a few days ahead of your appointment,” she said.
“Yep.  Good thing you called me this time.”
“At least you will take the card home,” she added.  “I find lots of them out in the parking lot.”
I smiled with super-clean teeth.  “I will at least give you the courtesy of taking the card home to lose it.”
As a final note, I should mention that the card is sitting on the sofa beside me as I write.   The card has been torn into two pieces.  I have written a phone number on the back of one part.  A while ago, without really thinking about it, I picked up the other half and used the corner to clean something from between my teeth.
I think we all know where this is headed.
--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment