Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

In My Life Happy and In My Life Sad


Not long ago, someone asked me if I was happy or sad in my life. 
“Both,” I answered.
I sensed that my answer did not satisfy, but I left my response at that.
Following is a more complete answer:
My name means “who is like God,” but in my life I mean to be only human and I am pleased when I dream of fish or I dream of untouched fields of white snow.   Some mornings, I wake with the blazing sun feeling like a grain of sand caught in my eye.  On other days, the warming sun pressing against me feels like whole civilizations building pyramids and harnessing wild beasts on my face and arms.
Sometimes, missing my wife feels like someone trying to stab me to death.
I am wholly content in my work life.  I enjoy the smooth science and the light-year speed of change and the sheer magic of new technology.
Last summer, when walking alone amid the sweet scent of  four-foot bear grass plumes in the high mountains, I felt as though within the very grasp of infinity.
My house is often too empty to be a home and my mind is a junkyard.
--Mitchell Hegman

1 comment:

  1. I believe that we are all part of God/Universe, but which I choose to call Love, at the same time that we are flesh and blood. It is a choice to dwell more on what is human rather than what are greater and nobler in us. And sometimes and even without our being conscious of it, we do take the higher ground, e.g., when our hearts are touched with dreams of fish and untouched fields of white snow or when we smell the sweet scent of four foot bear grass plumes in the high mountains.

    It is also a choice to see a glass as half empty or half full just like it is a choice to be happy or not.

    Peace, love and light to you!

    ReplyDelete